Lighthouse of the Month – Mia Maull Lighthouse
The Miah Maull Lighthouse marks a 1000-yard shoal just east of the main shipping channel in the Delaware Bay. It was named for Nehemiah Maull, a well-known and respected riverboat pilot of the Delaware Bay area. Embarking as a passenger on a voyage to England, the captain of the vessel was not familiar with the bay and the then unnamed shoals and the ship foundered on the shoals. Maull died in the accident. In recognition of his years of service on the Bay, the shoals were named in his honor, given a shortened version of his name, Miah Maull.
The Miah Maull first fitted with a temporary light in 1909, and a permanent light in 1912. The lighthouse was declared surplus property in 2011 and sold at auction in August 2015 for $90,000.