Hales Bar Dam, Tennessee
Completed in 1913, Hales Bar Dam and the hydroelectric plant provided power through the Tennessee Valley power grid. Acquired by the TVA* in 1939, there were two major drawbacks to the dam’s site: (1) the river bottom is riddled with underlying caves and crevices and vast amounts of water was leaking under the dam, and (2) the locks for shipping needed to be enlarged. In 1968, the TVA completed a new dam about six miles farther down the river and abandoned Hales Bar Dam. The major portion of the dam–from the left end of the building to the other side of the river, was removed. The power generating plant building and the service building remain.
After it was first built, people could walk across the river through the dam. More recently, there are legends of ghosts in the structure and for some years in the late 1900s, Halloween tours were conducted in the building.
For links to more cool buildings, go to: Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge: Buildings.
*Tennessee Valley Authority