…from the lantern room of the old Cape Henry (Virginia) Lighthouse at the “new” lighthouse.
The photo below shows the relationship of the two lighthouses. The old (1792) lighthouse sits on a hill well above the “new” (1881) structure.
The original lighthouse was the first lighthouse federally funded lighthouse, authorized by President George Washington and overseen by Alexander Hamilton. The “new” steel-structure lighthouse was activated in December 1881. The site was chosen to help safely guide ships through the treacherous waters entering the Chesapeake Bay. Still, it is also fitting that the first nationally funded lighthouse was built on Cape Henry where the first English settlers landed in 1607, before sailing on to what would become Jamestown.
Cape Henry and the lighthouses are on the grounds of the Army’s Fort Story, but is accessible to the public.
To see other “Looking through a Window” postings go to:
Beth’s CB&W Photo Challenge – Looking Through a Window